Monday, October 6, 2008
Sweet Potato Casserole
* 1 (40 ounce) can cut sweet potatoes, undrained
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup butter
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 cup chopped pecans
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Place the sweet potatoes and their liquid in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and mash.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, 1/3 cup butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour, and 1/3 cup melted butter. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
5. Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.