Monday, October 6, 2008
Potato Broccoli and Cheese Soup
* 2 cups chopped onion
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 1/4 pounds peeled and cubed potatoes
* 4 cups boiling water
* 4 cups of vegetable stock
* 2 cups fresh broccoli, cooked and drained
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a large stock pot saute onion in butter. Add potatoes, water and stock. Cover, bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. (If it looks like you need another half cup or so of water add it now)
2. Remove tough outer skin of broccoli stems and cook broccoli. Once cooked add to soup.
3. In a blender or food processor puree half of the soup and return to stock pot. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add cheese and heat soup through until cheese is melted. Serve warm with freshly baked bread.
TIP: If soup is too thin, add instant mashed taters. :)