Monday, October 6, 2008
Butter Bean Burgers
* 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, drained
* red onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
* 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs (might need to add more)
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. In a medium bowl, mash butter beans. Mix in onion, jalapeño pepper, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Divide into 4 equal parts, and shape into patties.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; use more or less oil to reach 1/4 inch in depth. Fry patties until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.
TIP: I like to put a thin layer of bread crumbs on the out side of the burger to make it crispier.