Wednesday, January 7, 2009
"They look like brownies, but they're not sweet! Here's a wonderful way to have spinach. Two 10 ounce packages frozen spinach, cooked, may be substituted for fresh."
* 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, rinsed
* 1 cup wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 2 cage free eggs
* 1 cup reduced fat milk milk
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese or less to cut calories
* Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Place spinach and onion in a medium saucepan with some oil. Sautee until spinach is limp, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in eggs, milk and butter. Mix in spinach, onion and mozzarella cheese.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.
Optional: Add sun dried tomatoes, yum!