Friday, June 5, 2009
Red, White and Bean Minestrone
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1 cup chopped carrots
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 (16 ounce) can chopped canned tomatoes
* 5 cups vegetable stock
* 1 (15.5 ounce) can Cannellini Beans, with liquid
* 1/2 (16 ounce) can Red Kidney Beans, drained
* 2 cups zucchini cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 2 cups baby spinach
* 1 1/2 cups cooked bowtie pasta
* 2 tablespoons pre-packaged pesto
* 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium sauté pan.
2. Add tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add onions, celery, garlic, carrots and oregano. Cook until garlic is aromatic, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Pour into a 4-quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes and vegetable stock.
5. Cook on low setting for 6 to 7 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Stir in beans, zucchini, spinach and cooked pasta. Cook on high setting for 8 minutes or until beans and pasta are warmed through and spinach has wilted.
7. To Serve: Pour the soup into a bowl. Top with a little pesto and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.